Monday, November 30, 2009

What I've Been Eating

Hello Internet! It has been a while. I ran a half marathon! I passed the Mass bar exam! News!

Well, the general malaise of 2009 marches on despite accomplishments and great moments. I am really promising myself that 2010 will be better, including lots of good food and happy stories.

But it occurred to me today to share the thing that I've been eating pretty much 2-3 times a week for the past couple of months.

There it is in all its bland, beige glory. My 5-minute one-pan, one-bowl comforty healthy dinner.

Take 6-10 oz trimmed cauliflower and 1/4 of a block of firm-ish tofu. Toss em in a steamer basket over boiling water for about 3-4 mins. Drop 1/4 cup whole wheat couscous into a heatproof bowl. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over the couscous and cover the bowl with aluminum foil. Let sit for 5 mins then fluff with a fork. Throw the cauliflower and tofu over top. Drizzle with soy sauce and hit it with a sprinkle of black sesame seeds if you're feeling wild. Inhale.

Though it is on the bland side, it is delicious, very good for you, and requires very little chopping and cleaning, which seems to be a priority for me these days when I get home from work ravenous. Sometimes I really mix it up by using sweet chili sauce or Trader Joe's "soyaki" sauce instead, but soy sauce is easier and has fewer calories. I'd rather have my sugar in dessert form, mainly.

There you have it. I did make a ridiculously gigantic pot of vegan carrot bisque yesterday but it wasn't anything to write home about. I'm not sure what possessed me to make it when there are 10 other soups on my to-make list and I am starting to think I am kind of allergic to carrots. It was super carroty and really not bad but I'm not really looking forward to eating it 5 more times...

Back soon with a recap of the Philly Half Marathon and other thrilling running events -- this is one thing I am very excited about! So I'm saving it for a less blahh post tonight or tomorrow. When it'll be December! Yay Christmas!

No comments: